Tutors with Tails Reading Program
It matters to us.
Reading matters to the students that Communities In Schools of Peninsula serves. It matters to their future academic success, and in turn, their career options as adults. Reading also matters to educators, to the school district and to the health of the community.
As a drop-out prevention organization, Communities In Schools of Peninsula (CISP) is uniquely committed to education and preparedness. Our therapy animal teams are passionate about supporting literacy, and a therapy animal team provides an engaging, non-judgmental, creative opportunity for all students to get excited about building their skills.
Why therapy dogs?
A therapy dog is an incentive, a motivational tool, and a non-judgmental listener…all in one. The goal of our Tutors with Tails Reading program is to get students in a positive mindset, engaging them and help them practice and gain confidence in their reading skills aimed at breathing new life into owners, breathe new life in reading program with the engaging presence of a highly qualified volunteer and their animal.
How to get involved in the Tutors with Tails Program?
Dogs in the Tutors with Tails Reading Program must be certified as a therapy animal through a national organization, such as Pet Partners International or Therapy Dogs International.
Therapy dog owners must meet volunteer eligibility requirements, to include the following:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Complete the screening process, including background check.
- Agree to a 6-9-month school year commitment.
- Be willing to adhere to all CISP mentoring program policies and procedures.
- Be willing to communicate regularly with the CISP Program Coordinator.
- Enjoy children and youth; encouraging, positive disposition.
Tutors with Tails School Sites
- Harbor Heights Elementary School
- Vaughn Elementary School
- Evergreen Elementary School
- Minter Creek Elementary School
For more information on how to get your dog certified as a therapy dog, please go to:
https://Petpartners.org Pet Partners International
https://Tdi-dog.org Therapy Dog International
Still have questions, please contact Cathy Rich at 253-509-9397 or email@example.com